Reporting to: Group Leader Chemistry
Direct reports: N/A
At Silence Therapeutics Plc we specialise in gene silencing that cures diseases and fundamentally changes lives. We are developing a new generation of medicines by harnessing the body’s natural mechanism of RNA interference (RNAi) within its cells. Our proprietary technology can selectively inhibit any gene in the genome, specifically silencing the production of disease-causing proteins. Research in RNAi has been progressing over the past 20 years, achieving Nobel Prize recognition in 2006, and can now be seen to be transitioning from the experimental realm into the clinical. Silence Therapeutics is entering an exciting stage of growth, both in the Europe and internationally in the US. It is a great opportunity to be part of an emerging field that will make an impact on medicine forever.
We are seeking an Oligonucleotide Synthesis Chemist to join the Molecular Design Team at Silence Therapeutics, Berlin, Germany. This role is for a laboratory-based position in the Chemistry group, one out of three teams working on in house evolution of cell-specific siRNA. The successful applicant will be supporting the Molecular Design team by synthesising, purifying and conjugating oligonucleotides. The applicant will further be involved in the synthesis of building blocks for oligonucleotide synthesis. The position will include synthesis of novel siRNA conjugates alongside production of high-quality molecules using already established protocols.
- Perform oligonucleotide synthesis according to standard methods
- Optimize existing synthesis, purification and conjugation protocols
- Research and establish new synthesis and conjugation procedures
- Perform synthesis of building blocks used in oligonucleotide synthesis
- Troubleshoot and maintain synthesis procedures and instrumentation
- Write scientific protocols and reports
- Actively participate in discussion and communicate your results in multidisciplinary teams and at scientific meetings
- Contribute to scientific publications and patent applications
- Work in close collaboration with highly qualified chemistry technicians
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate the following competencies and behaviours:
- MSc in a relevant subject (life sciences or oligonucleotide-related) and 3-year experience in a relevant position or a doctoral degree in a relevant life science
- Hands on experience with an oligonucleotide synthesizer (i.e. ABI, Äkta, Mermade or similar) is a must
- Broad knowledge of organic chemistry and especially oligonucleotide chemistry/synthesis
- Hands-on experience in the analysis of biomolecules would be an advantage
- A high level of creativity and independence in developing synthesis methods and solving complex problems
- Excellent command of written and spoken English, good working knowledge of German would be a plus
- Passionate about collaborative working and building relationships to reach joint goals
- Has a desire to broaden their experience, expand existing skills and knowledge, and add value to our growing organisation
- Clear affiliation with our vision and values, and a true ambassador of our organisation
- Proactive self-starter with a hunger to apply their knowledge to a high growth SME
Our mission is to continue to build Silence as a global leader in RNAi therapeutics, where our technology can create a new generation of approaches to address unmet medical needs and improve the outcomes for patients. Making a difference to people’s lives is at the heart of what we do, and this is no different when it comes to our employees.
We offer a vibrant culture and environment where employees are encouraged to bring their innovation and creativity. Small, dynamic, with slick decision making and unencumbered by bureaucracy, we recognise contributions wherever they are made within the team.
Our values - working collaboratively to create value, holding ourselves accountable for delivering results, and seeking out opportunities to develop ourselves, run through everything we do. We should also mention that we have a lot of fun on the way, fully embracing the diverse mix of talented professionals we employ.